How to Choose the Right Education Program

Have you always wanted to teach, but were never quite sure where to start? There are a number of programs for individuals who want to complete their undergraduate degrees and become teachers, as well as programs designed for those who already have an undergraduate degree and need to obtain a teaching license in order to pursue a job in education.

If you’re considering a career in education, here are some questions to ask yourself to help you choose the right path:

  • Do you already have an undergraduate degree, or do you still need to complete one? If you need to complete your undergraduate degree, programs like Antioch University Midwest’s Early Childhood Education program for adult students allows you to earn two credentials at the same time: a Bachelor of Arts degree and an Early Childhood education license. If you already have an undergraduate degree, you will need to enroll in a Master’s program that provides you with a teaching license, such as Antioch University Midwest’s Professional Preparation Program for Teacher Licensure.
  • What type of teaching licensure program does your state require? If you want to become a teacher, you must be licensed according to your state’s requirements. For example, Antioch University Midwest’s Professional Preparation Program for Teacher Licensure is designed for adults with busy schedules, and provides students with the coursework and preparation required for an Ohio Resident Educator License. Antioch’s licensure programs take about two years to complete, and allows students to graduate with both a Master’s degree and a teaching license. You can also earn your licensure in out BA Early Childhood Education program.
  • What education level would you like to teach? Each state determines which license or certificate you need to teach different grade levels. In Ohio, earning a licensure in Early Childhood Education prepares you to teach Preschool, Head Start, and Pre-kindergarten through third grade at public schools. Earning an additional Reading Endorsement will qualify you to become a Title 1 teacher in grades K-12. Note that other states may have different grade levels associated with the early childhood education license.
  • Do you need a teaching endorsement? Endorsements are generally sought by teachers who are already licensed to teach but who wish to teach additional content or grade levels. All endorsement candidates must successfully complete required coursework and pass their state licensure exam to obtain their endorsement. Examples of endorsements include Reading K-12 and Early Childhood Generalist 4 & 5.
  • Should you pursue a graduate degree in education? The reality is that the higher the degree you achieve, the higher your earning potential and the more flexible your career options. A graduate degree can also help position you to transition into leadership, research, or policy positions in schools.

Are you ready to explore a career in education? Discover more about education programs from Antioch University Midwest.

Antioch University

Since our founding 1852, Antioch University has remained on the forefront of social justice, inclusion, and equality – regardless of ethnicity, gender, creed, orientation, focus of study, or ability.

Antiochians actively reflect these shared values to inspire positive change in the world. Common Thread is where we document the stories that showcase our communities actions, so the change we work for can be shared widely.  

© 2020 Antioch University. All Rights Reserved.

Skip to content